Your Belongings and Storm Damage
Storm mitigation Tips: (Perform only when the structure has been cleared as safe.)
- Take the greatest caution while entering your home, and wear sturdy shoes and protective clothing when dealing with flooded areas. Wear protective clothing at all times.
Take photos or video to record conditions of collections and structure. Make sure images clearly record damage.
Remove as much excess water as possible by mopping and blotting.
Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removing lamps and tabletop items.
Remove and prop up wet upholstery cushions for even drying.
Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
Remove any paintings, art objects, documents, and other sensitive materials to a safe, dry place.
Place fans at 45-degree angles to walls and move large furniture away from walls to create the best air circulation.
Appoint a media liaison to report conditions and need for help/volunteers. You may have to limit access to collections.
Do not enter rooms with standing water where electrical shock hazards may exist.
Do not attempt to operate any electrical equipment while standing in wet or damp locations.
Do not leave books, newspapers, magazines or other colored items on wet carpets or floors to cause staining.
Do not leave Oriental rugs or other colored rugs on wet wall-to-wall carpets to cause staining.
Do not use TVs or other appliances while standing on wet carpets or floors, especially not on wet concrete floors.
If You Have Questions or Need Help, Call Us Today – (603) 669-7733
SERVPRO of Manchester specializes in restoring contents damaged by storms and other water damage events. Our expertise and our “restore” versus “replace” mentality can help you save money while preserving precious keepsakes that can’t be replaced. We pretest your contents to determine what items can be restored back to their condition before the water damage. We utilize several methods of cleaning your contents, including:
- Dry Cleaning - Used for cleaning light residues or to pre-clean prior to cleaning.
- Wet Cleaning - An effective cleaning method for removing moderate to heavy residues.
- Spray and Wipe -Effective for items that can’t withstand cleaning.
- Foam Cleaning - Used for upholstery fabrics that might shrink or bleed if cleaned.
- Abrasive Cleaning - Involves agitation of the surface being cleaned.
- Immersion Cleaning - Contents are dipped into a bath of the cleaning product.
If your home requires extensive restoration or cleaning, SERVPRO of Manchester can conduct an organized, efficient move-out of the affected area. A move-out will provide several benefits, including:
- A quicker remodeling process
- Protecting items from potential damage
- Protecting contents from further on-site damage
When restoration is completed, we will work with you to coordinate the move-in according to your needs. The services offered upon move-in may depend on your insurance coverage.
Water-damaged electronics can present a serious hazard. Do not attempt to turn on or operate any electrical device that you suspect has been damaged by water. We will coordinate the restoration of your electronics, including:
- Television sets
- DVD players
- And more
The key to restoring electronics is taking prompt action to prevent further damage. We start by cleaning the exterior of electronic devices to help stop further corrosion and damage. Electronics will be cleaned and inspected by a qualified electronics technician.
Document / Photograph Drying
When your valuable documents, including photographs, are damaged by water, extreme caution should be taken to help ensure the water damage does not destroy the document. Although some documents may not be restored to pre-water damage condition, SERVPRO of Manchester can save a great deal and help minimize additional damage.
Depending on the type of documents and the level of water damage, we have five options for the restoration of documents:
- Air Drying
- Freezer Drying
- Vacuum Freeze Drying
- Vacuum Thermal Drying
Contents Claim Inventory Service
When a storm event happens, the damage can often feel overwhelming. We can help ease the worry and confusion during the recovery process by offering our Contents Claim Inventory Service (CCIS), which provides a detailed and accurate list of your belongings. We take a room-by-room inventory of your contents, including digital photos, and in some instances, bar coding.
Our Contents Claim Inventory Service:
- Preloss list and value of contents
- Detailed and accurate report
- Better information to settle claims quicker
- Assistance with burden of proof for claims
- Peace of mind when you need it most