Recent Mold Remediation Posts
Warmer weather is coming!
After a long cold winter we have finally had some nice warm weather! As summer approaches be sure to keep an eye on your attic for Mold. Attic molds make up a large majority of our Mold remediation services. Catching mold growth before it gets out of control not only limits the hazards that go along with mold but cost as well!
Call SERVPRO of Manchester with any mold related questions 24/7-365 days a year!
Health Effects of Mold
Many different kinds of molds are present in buildings, and not all molds are as potentially
harmful as others. Molds affect different humans in different ways, so we all must be aware that
human health is at risk whenever molds grow excessively and multiply in a structure.
Molds produce two types of chemical compounds to which occupants of water-damaged
buildings may be exposed:
• Mycotoxins are known to cause health problems in humans.
• Microbial Volatile Organic Compounds (mVOCs) result in unpleasant smells in our
Mycotoxins are poisonous substances. (“Myco” means fungus, so think of mycotoxins as “fungi
toxins.”) They are designed for chemical warfare against other organisms, even against other
types of molds. Living molds may produce mycotoxins to discourage other molds or bacteria
from growing in the same territory. Unfortunately, humans who inhale, ingest, or touch
mycotoxins may have a toxic reaction. Not all molds produce mycotoxins; furthermore, molds
that can produce mycotoxins do not produce them in all situations.
Microbial Volatile Organic Compounds are called mVOCs. mVOCs are produced by chemical
changes that take place during the mold life process. They are waste products given off by
actively growing molds. Some mVOCs produce musty and moldy odors. Research has not
proven that exposure to mVOCs causes health effects, but the odors from mVOCs may indicate a
level of mold contamination requiring remediation.
Research is ongoing as to how chemical compounds from mold relate to health effects in
humans. The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has stated that more studies are needed to
understand the relation between mycotoxins and health. Also according to EPA, research in mVOCs is still in an early phase.2 Perhaps one of the most extensive studies on mold’s health
effects is the report by the Institute of Medicine.
If you see mold, DON'T PANIC! Follow these simple instructions
If you see visible mold, do not disturb it. You can inadvertently spread the mold infestation throughout your home. When mold is disturbed, the mold can release microscopic mold spores which become airborne and can circulate inside your home.
What to Do:
- Stay out of affected areas.
- Turn off the HVAC system and fans.
- Contact SERVPRO of Manchester-East for mold remediation services.
What Not to Do:
- Don’t touch or disturb the mold.
- Don’t blow air across any surfaces with visible or suspected mold growth.
- Don’t attempt to dry the area yourself.
- Don’t spray bleach or other disinfectants on the mold.
About Our Mold Remediation Services
SERVPRO of Manchester-East specializes in mold cleanup and restoration, in fact, it’s a cornerstone of our business. Our crews are highly trained restoration professionals that use specialized equipment and techniques to properly remediate your mold problem quickly and safely.
If You See Signs of Mold, Call Us Today – 603-669-7733
Why is everyone talking about mold?
In Manchester NH, mold can spread throughout your business or home in as little as 48 hours.
Microscopic mold spores naturally occur almost everywhere, both outdoors and indoors. This makes it impossible to remove all mold from a home or business. Therefore, mold remediation reduces the mold spore count back to its natural or baseline level. Some restoration businesses advertise “mold removal” and even guarantee to remove all mold, which is a fallacy. Consider the following mold facts:
- Mold is present almost everywhere, indoors and outdoors.
- Mold spores are microscopic and float along in the air and may enter your home through windows, doors, or AC/heating systems or even hitch a ride indoors on your clothing or a pet.
- Mold spores thrive on moisture. Mold spores can quickly grow into colonies when exposed to water. These colonies may produce allergens and irritants.
- Before mold remediation can begin, any sources of water or moisture must be addressed. Otherwise, the mold may return.
- Mold often produces a strong, musty odor and can lead you to possible mold problem areas.
- Even higher-than-normal indoor humidity can support mold growth. Keep indoor humidity below 45 percent.
If your home or business has a mold problem, we can inspect and assess your property and use our specialized training, equipment, and expertise to remediate your mold infestation.