Frozen pipes? SERVPRO of Manchester is READY TO HELP!
You are not alone when it comes to the fight against freezing pipes and it is not always avoidable. As water begins to freeze it also expands and ultimately causes pipes to burst, leaving you with a flooded room. However, there may be some steps you can take in order to try to prevent this from happening to you!
It is important to understand that pipes freeze in the areas of your house that are most vulnerable to the cold where there is little to no insulation, such as the basement, attic and or garage (that's not to say it can't happen anywhere).
Here is a list of tips in trying to avoid pipes from freezing:
- keep all areas of the house well heated as this is the biggest thing you can do to avoid pipes from bursting
- if heating is not an option in places such as your garage, basement, attic, etc. then it is highly recommended to add insulation to these areas to keep the room temperature higher
- check where water supply lines are in your house such as in the kitchen under the skin and in the bathrooms and make sure these areas are well insulated and kept above freezing temperatures
- there are certain products you can have installed such as pipe sleeves or heat tape to help in trying to prevent from pipes freezing
- if money is tight and you can't afford to insulate, newspaper can act as a decent insulator to help keep temperatures up in areas where pipes are exposed to the cold for long periods of time
- consider relocating exposed pipes to more insulated areas
- keep your garage doors shut in order to ensure it stays as warm as possible
- in freezing weather you can let the water drip very slightly from the faucet, which can help prevent pipes from freezing temperature should never be left below 55 degrees Fahrenheit (although higher the better)
Help in Manchester, NH :
Should disaster strike and you find yourself in a flooded mess, SERVPRO of Manchester-East is here to help! We are serving Manchester, NH and surrounding areas of southern New Hampshire as well as Vermont and Massachusetts. Give us a call at 603-669-7733 and help will be on its way! We are open to calls 24/7 and are here to serve you in your time of need. With trained technicians and professional equipment, no one does it better than us!